Looking for the best camera drone – but confused about all the options? In this post, you'll see all the details, specs, and differences between GoPro Karma and DJI Mavic camera drone.
At the bottom of the post, you'll see the primary features and who each drone is best for.
The GoPro Karma was first announced back in December 2015.
GoPro Karma vs DJI Mavic Pro
With the upcoming release of the DJI Mavic Pro (November 15, 2016) and the GoPro Karma (October 23, 2016) it's time to make your decision.
In this post, you'll see GoPro Karma compared to DJI Mavic. In addition to the basic specs, you'll also learn about the camera specs, flight differences, remote control, cases, price and availability.
Below the infographic (by MediaKix), I'll share my thoughts about these two. Don't forget to share your thoughts – and which one is on your wish list – in the comments below.
Let's get started!
Which is the Best Camera Drone? GoPro Karma vs DJI Mavic Pro
So there you have it. The major settings and specs on both the GoPro Karma and the DJI Mavic.
Watch on YouTube
I've been a GoPro user for almost four years – and I own 5 of them (Hero, Hero3, Hero4 Hero5, and Hero7). I like the camera and image quality.
Until I wrote this post, I thought I would buy the Karma – but now I'm having second thoughts. Not because it isn't a good option, but because of the solid drone features offered by DJI.
GoPro Karma Specs
Each of the three options below come with drone, remote control and backpack.
- No camera: Remember: you can use your Hero4 Black or Silver with the Karma).
- Hero5 Session
- Hero5 Black
You should buy the GoPro Karma if you:
- Already own the Hero4 (Black or Silver) or Hero5 (Black or Session). Because it's removable, you can save some money by using the same camera for drone or in-hand use.
- Plan to buy a hand-held gimbal. Because the Karma drone comes with a removable gimbal that can be mounted to a handle, you can save some money by using it for both purposes.
- Want a super wide field of view. The DJI camera shoots just 78.8-degree FOV compared to the superwide 170-degree field of view in the Hero5 Black.
DJI Mavic Pro Specs
Each option comes with the drone and camera.
- No remote control
- With remote control
- Fly More Combo: comes with extra batteries, charges and case
You should buy the DJI Mavic Pro if you:
- Want high-end drone features like obstacle avoidance, follow feature, and indoor flying.
- Plan to fly long distances. DJI Mavic has a maximum distance of 4.3 miles (7km) compared to Karma's 1.86 miles (3km).
- Require longer flight time. The lighter Mavic (1.62 lbs) flies up to 27 minutes on a charge compared to Karma's (2.22 lbs) 20 minute charge.
In short, the Karma is economical with a focus on great image quality. And the Mavic Pro is focused on flight features with a good camera.
What feature is most important to you? Which is your favorite?